Friday, September 3, 2010

Part 10

Dear my love, Ben.

By the time you read this, I am already away. Away from this town, away from you. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for everything that you’d given me, all those times that we’d shared, and all those happiness that you’d brought into my life.

                Since I met you, I was a completely a different person; one that I much prefer, too. Thank you so much for that.

I would also like to take this opportunity, to ask for your forgiveness, if I’d ever hurt you, or offended you, and every mistakes I’d made that might’ve caused you inconvenience.

I know you can’t remember me, or everything else between us. So I feel that I need to forget about those memories too. Hence, enclosed with this letter is everything you’d given me that I feel I must return to you. I’ve put away everything else. They’re in a box in my room at home. You may have those too, if you want. Just ask from my brother and he’ll give them to you.

I may have been out of your mind, but you will never be out of mine. I suppose, I have to be strong and be grateful that, finally, my prayers all these while was answered. You’ve finally found someone who makes you happy. Although it was not me, as I had once desperately hoped for, I would still like to congratulate you.

One more thing, I would like to thank you for giving me the honour of wearing this engagement ring, albeit for no more than five months. It was time for me to return it to you, and hopefully, this will be given to someone worthy of your love, and loyalty.

Do take care, Ben. I wish you luck and happiness. Mostly, I wish you love.

p/s: this paper is the same one I used to write you when you were in training years ago. It’s the last one in my possession, too.

                                                                                                                             Yours truly,
                                                                                                                                 Elisa.

True enough, the simple engagement ring fell out of the envelope at the right moment, and rolled underneath his desk. Ben watched it roll away, his mind blank, his heart void of any emotion. He fetched the box which contained the heart-shaped paper with his and Elisa’s name on it. On the paper, he had written “My love Elisa, please keep my heart, and keep it well. Yours always, Ben.”

There was a soft toy in the shape of a hippopotamus, a mechanical pencil, some jewelleries and a couple of notebooks.  He found out that the notebooks contained their shared diaries, letters written to each other throughout their years in high school. He flipped through the book, hoping to feel anything. Nothing. I can’t feel anything, I can’t remember anything. I’m sorry.

To be continued...


No comments: